This exciting new presents a trilogy of Diaghilev ballets by Igor Stravinsky in the composer’s own versions for 4 hands piano.
Stravinsky composed his ballets at the piano and used 4-hands piano versions to rehearse the productions so naturally, the orchestral drama translates into pianistic drama with great effect.
With no Stravinsky four-hand transcription of Firebird available, Philip Moore undertook the project of arranging the work for 4 hands and produced a spirited and chamber music like version of The Firebird, recorded here for the first time.
Philip Moore and Simon Crawford-Phillips have been performing as a piano duo since 1995 and have won numerous awards. In 2001, they made their Proms debut to critical acclaim with a performance of Stravinsky’s Concerto for Two Pianos which was hailed by The Daily Telegraph as “a real shot of adrenalin.”
1) The Infernal Dance of King Kashchei
4) Russian Dance
5) Petrushka’s Room
6) Shrovetide Fair
The Rite of Spring
First Part: Adoration of the Earth
8) The Augors of Spring – Dances of the Young 9) Girls
10) Ritual of Abduction
11) Spring Rounds
12) Ritual of the Rival Tribes
13) Procession of the Sage – The Sage
14) Dance of the Earth
Second Part: The Sacrifice
16) Mystic Circles of the Young Girls
17) Glorification of the Chosen One
18) Evocation of the Ancestors
19) Ritual Action of the Ancestors
20) Sacrificial Dance (The Chosen One)